A brand new Cuban style musical, featuring Bizet’s classic score from his opera Carmen, will be showing at the Sadler’s Well from August. Carmen La Cubana is set in the turmoil of the Cuban Revolution,1958. It is also inspired by Oscar Hammerstein II’s Broadway hit Carmen Jones. Director of West End’s The King and I, Christopher Renshaw and Tony Award-winning musical arranger, Alex Lacamoire (Hamilton) collaborate for the UK premiere. The performance combines opera with rumba, cha-cha-cha, salsa and musical favourites such as the ‘Habanera’.
There are complimentary 30-minute post-show dance classes with members of the Carmen La Cubana cast, including different dance styles (salsa, cha-cha-cha, rumba and mambo). The classes are available to same-day ticket holders.
Carmen La Cubana is showing at Sadler’s Wells from 1 – 18, 2018 August. For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.
- Carmen La Cubana: Sadler’s Wells
- NEWS: SOMM Recordings – Never heard before recording of the music of Leonard Bernstein is available on newly mastered CD (2018)
- TriOperas: Peacock Theatre (2018)
- Screening Akram Khan and English National Ballet’s Giselle (2018)
- Shobana Jeyasingh’s Bayadère – The 9th Life